Friday, May 5, 2017

Cancun 8 nights hotel and air under $700



Part I: Maximizing Mileage Programs

Using credit card mileage programs, I booked a flight and eight-night hotel stay for my family of four in Cancun for under $700.

Here's how I did it:

First, my wife and I applied for separate Citibank Hilton Honors Cards. The sign up bonus provided 2 free weekend nights (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) at category 1-4 hotels in the Hilton portfolio. Annual fee $99. Link to Citibank Hilton HHonors Card
Total cost 4 nights hotel: $198.00.

Then we both applied for the Chase Hyatt Card. The sign up bonus provides 2 free nights at almost any hotel in the Hyatt portfolio. Annual fee $99. Link to Chase Hyatt Card
Total cost 4 nights hotel: $198.00.

Finally, my wife applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to use specifically to cover our airfare. The signup bonus provided a $300 travel credit and 100,000 Chase Points to make travel purchases on their website. The fee for this card is $450. With the $300 travel credit, I view the total cost for this card to be $150.00Link to Chase Sapphire Reserve Card 

The Sapphire bonus point award recently dropped to 50,000. However, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card also provides 50,000 points, but with no annual fee. 

It is important to check with all the credit cards mentioned regarding their latest signup bonuses and fees as they can change at any time. This also includes how much you have to spend within a specified amount of time to earn the signup bonuses.The information is based on the personal experience of my wife and I when we applied for cards between November 2016 and January 2017. 

The Points Guy website was a great resource to help me narrow the list of credit cards I planned to apply for to fund my trip.


Next Friday, I will detail how we used the points and miles we accumulated for the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment